Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hark! Is That Purple I See?


I have an eggplant!  The first one of the season, and the biggest one I have managed to grow yet.  *L*  It is a Ping Tung eggplant, an heirloom variety.  They can grow as long as 18 inches.  Lots of flowers on this plant, so hopefully there will be several more eggplants by the end of the summer.





It is hard to tell from this picture, but we found a large tomato plant, complete with yellow blooms and tiny, plum-shaped tomatoes, in the potato patch.  I put a cage around it and am crossing my fingers that we get some ripe tomatoes from this one.  They look like Martino Romas, which I grew two or three summers ago.





These loooong things that resemble witches' noses are Italian Sweet peppers (also called Jimmy Nardello peppers, I think, and they are heirlooms). They can be eaten green, or allowed to turn red.  I'm going to leave them on the plant as long as possible.  I love red peppers.




Lacinato ("dinosaur") kale and red Swiss Chard.





We likely won't harvest as many carrots this summer as we did last year, but here is the first little batch of the season.  It looks like mostly Cosmic Purple and Jaune Obtus de Doubs germinated.  The most common kind, and the kind that usually grows easily (Scarlet Nantes) showed up in only two tiny "thinning" sized carrots.  Looking forward to scrubbing these babies tonight and having them for supper!





1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your first eggplant.... well done.
    And, as always, your wonderful garden paradise discloses some other surprises too. What fun. Wish I could be there with you at this time of the year to work and play.
    Callymae : ]

    ReplyDelete