Saturday, May 25, 2013

You Can't Hide the 'Nip

After several days of clouds, drizzle (no real rainfall, darn it), and very cool temps, I awoke this morning to bright sunshine and warm weather.  Last night was the first all-night sleepover on the front step for my plants.  The tomatoes seemed to fare well, as did the peppers.  R. made a shade tent for them this morning, as it is shaping up to be a hot day.


I think my melon plants got zapped.  :(  


To replace them, this morning I planted Cream of Saskatchewan melon seeds and Sugar Pie Pumpkin seeds in the containers where the Sweet Siberian melons were intended to grow.  Fingers crossed they do well.  If the Sweet Siberians snap back to life, I will do my best to find a place for them in the South garden.


After planting the melon and pumpkin seeds, I rounded the corner of the house to find Karl indulging in the catnip.  The catnip we had deliberately placed off the round, on a plank of wood across layed the top of a rain barrel so the poor thing's roots would have a chance to establish themselves.  Karl has the transplant gnawed pretty much down to the soil.  I think we're going to have to buy another transplant.    



R's brother just dropped by for a quick visit and gave us two Butternut squash plants!  Love Butternut squash.  Have no idea where we are going to put them, but I will find a place!



Update - We took a trip to the nursery late this morning to get some transplants (including catnip!).  I prefer being able to grow and then harvest my vegetables from seeds.  Strangely, I don't feel like I've grown them/that they're really mine if I use transplants.   I also am not thrilled about growing hybrids.  Sometimes things don't go according to plan and my seedlings croak, so Plan B is the nursery!  

We bought broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage, green cabbage, and more corn and strawberries (half of the last batches of corn and strawberries we recently bought and planted got wiped out by a wind storm).  We planted those this afternoon, mostly in the South garden, and I filled in any extra space with green onion seeds and nasturtiums.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment