Sunday, July 27, 2014

Jiminy Cricket and The Golden Beets


Here are the golden beets I picked yesterday, photobombed by Jiminy Cricket!  That's a grasshopper, actually.  We have had a large number of grasshoppers around this year.  Several have been unusual colours, including lime green with red eyes (that one really looked like a cartoon character!), dark yellow, and orange in addition to the usual brown and khaki ones.  

I roasted the golden beets this morning.  Love them!  They are very mild and they don't bleed or stain.  I will grow them again next summer, but will buy a fresh batch of seeds, first.  The ones I have are very slow to germinate, have a low germination rate, and take a loooong time to mature compared to the red beets I grow.






The star-shaped, blue borage flowers are starting to open.







One of last year's leeks going to seed. 





R is very pleased that our apple tree is finally producing some apples!




Saj in the (rather sparse, this year) flower bed.




Yellow Taxi tomatoes




The first nasturtium of the summer!





The squash vines were starting to crawl up the apple tree and the corn, so R installed some stakes for them to climb, instead - mostly willow, but also an old pool cue!




A zucchini.  I'm not sure what kind.




Calendula and Shasta Daisies




The Pink Bumblebee tomatoes are the first to ripen this year.




It has been a few years since I last grew Canadian Wild Goose beans.  I don't remember them having runners, but I guess they do!  I must make a note to space them farther apart next time.







1 comment:

  1. Your photos are beautiful, everything looks so colourful and perfect - a virtual feast for the eyes. Wish I were closer to sample some of your crops. You must be very busy just keeping ahead of it all, and then there is the putting the "by" or "up" - gathering, prep, blanching, canning, freezing, dehydrating, etc. I don't know how you do it!
    Well done!
    CML ;-)

    ReplyDelete