Saturday, May 17, 2014

All About The Beans


It was a day spent in the garden.  I planted several kinds of dry and snap beans today (Beka Brown, Royal Burgundy, Vermont Cranberry, and Beurre de Rocquencourt), bringing the total up to 10 varieties.  Hee hee!  One more variety - Snowcap, a dry pole bean - is planned.  I want to experiment with growing Snowcap beans up large sunflowers.  I have never grown pole beans before.

I also planted my leeks and Swiss Giant pansies outdoors, as well as some Early Russian sunflower seeds.  Next weekend, we'll head to the nursery to pick up some transplants - cabbage (my seedlings didn't amount to much), cauliflower, broccoli, and likely some mint and parsley as well.

A few of our solar garden lights bit the dust, so yesterday R. bought a set of sturdier, fancier lights for the garden.


North/pea garden Sage and Rosemary in the terracotta pots.


South/mostly beans-and-greens gardenKarl lounging.



Eggplants and some of my tomatoes.  All nightshades are still luxuriating in the plant room, away from the elements!




Along with growing pole beans up sunflowers, my experiments/new crops this summer are borage and turnips.






No comments:

Post a Comment