Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Winding Down


A sunny, breezy day.  It was 7 degrees when I got up this morning.  The days are getting shorter (it's no longer broad daylight at 4:30am!).  Things are growing more slowly than they were, and the flowers aren't snapping back as brightly as they did, even when dead-headed.  

I spent some time in the garden yesterday pulling out cabbage plants that hadn't formed heads, the stalks of the broccoli plants, and more nasturtiums that were crowding the tomatoes.

Some pictures taken today...


One container of Swiss Giant Pansies.  They are pretty, but not lasting long.  I'm dead-heading them twice a day now.  On the positive side, they will be very easy to collect seeds from for next summer.



One of several pots of sage I placed among the brassicas in an attempt to keep the cabbage moths away.  It didn't work.  The sage didn't grow very large this year.  They seem to like the heat, in which case this was not the summer for them.  I'll bring them inside at the end of September to overwinter.



The lettuce, which bolted earlier this month, was composted yesterday.  Leeks, summer savoury, a few golden beets, and "Perpetual Spinach" that I can't uproot remain in the beds.



The sunflowers are starting to droop.  The bees still enjoy them, though.  :)



The South garden with the broccoli, cauliflower, and most of the cabbage stalks cleared out.



What's left of the pea patch (those are leeks in the bottom corner).  We picked the very last batch yesterday.  There were enough good peas for two meals, but the vast majority will be next year's seed.



This is one of the Butternut squash from the plants R's brother gave us.  It's tiny yet, only about 3 inches long.  I pollinated 3 others but if they "took", I cannot find them in the mass of vines and leaves.  I doubt this will be able to fully develop before we have a hard frost, but you never know.  Fingers crossed.



The view from the end of the driveway.



Parsnips (pointy leaves) vying for room beside Tene's beans (heart-shaped leaves).  The lilypad-shaped leaves on the right are the Butternut squash in the next raised bed.



Two Casper eggplants.  They have a few purple blossoms on them, so I am hoping one might produce an eggplant before the end of the season.



Two tiny little jalapeno peppers wondering what the hell they are doing in the Artic instead of Mexico.  I chuckled when I discovered them yesterday.  More victims of a cool, rainy summer.  Poor little guys.



A Vittoria eggplant (right) and a Casper eggplant (left).  Both have blossoms on them, but no sign of eggplants yet.



Some Cole tomatoes and basil going to seed.



I love the Scarlet Flax.  I will grow this again next summer!



Our attempt to stake the Black Krims, Opalkas, Great Whites, and Emerald Greens.  All are large paste (Opalka) or beefsteak type tomatoes.  With the exception of the Great White, I didn't realize they were going to get so large and heavy.  The cages and bamboo stakes weren't enough, so R. jammed some boards under them.  It's still not ideal, but it's the best we can do this late in the season.





Some of the Opalka paste tomatoes are as long as my hand.



Black Krims


Some of the Great Whites are huge.  I really hope they ripen.  I would love to save the seeds from this one.



Could this be an eggplant forming on the Vittoria variety?  *Cue the Hallelujah chorus!*



Two new melons have finally set!  In the Spring, I planted Cream of Saskatchewan and Sweet Siberian seeds.  I wasn't sure which variety grew, but now I am pretty sure they are Sweet Siberians.  We'll know once we cut the large (I use that term loosely) one open, as the flesh of Sweet Siberians is yellow. Cream of Saskatchewans have creamy white flesh.





Rogue potatoes still doing well in the compost bins.



The corn is coming along...



Drying seeds in the plant room:  peas, nasturtiums, Cole tomatoes, and calendula.




No comments:

Post a Comment