Monday, August 15, 2022

The Midnight Snacker Strikes Again

 I won't even lead up to it.  Here are the pictures:





   The Midnight Snacker struck again.  There's no shortage of food for deer in the summer, but it would seem that our garden has become a Ponderosa salad bar for someone.  As soon as I saw the sunflower, I headed straight to the cabbage bed.  Last time, it munched on a red cabbage.  This time, it was the one savoy cabbage in the bed.  I decided to harvest the two other green cabbage that have heads.  They're small, but I don't want them damaged before I can use them.  One of them will go into a cabbage roll casserole, and the other will make a small batch of sauerkraut.  The Snacker nibbled on several kale plants again, but that's not really a problem.  There's plenty of kale.

   At least he or she isn't going after the tomatoes (the blossom end rot is taking care of the tomatoes.  *sigh*)

   On a happier note, the cucumber plants are growing like mad, a few Burpee's Butterbush squash have set, and most of the zinnias I planted have finally bloomed.  I made two batches of zucchini relish last week, and if the plants keep producing, there will be more batches made soon.


Update - August 17th - 7:00 a.m.

   Oh, my goodness.  He was back last night.  He ate some more of the sunflower pictured above...

 


 ...and chewed on two new sunflowers.

 




He sampled some kale...



...and bit the top off yet another cabbage (this is the third one).

 


   I'm going to have to dig out some old pillowcases to cover up the remaining cabbage at night.  I might cover the pumpkins, too.  R. said he read that some gardeners report that deer have eaten their squash and pumpkins with gusto.

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment