Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Little Squash and A Midday Visit

   Yesterday, I made a small batch of raspberry jelly.  Thank goodness we had some raspberry juice frozen from our last good crop, as we got nothing from the patch this year.  Around noon, as I was rinsing out pots and measuring cups at the kitchen sink, I glanced up to find myself eyeball to eyeball with a doe  (the "Midnight Snacker"?).  I was so shocked, I turned my head toward the living room and called R's name.  When I turned back at the window, she was gone.  We went outside and spotted her in the alley, several properties down, tail flicking and munching on the leaves of a tree.  It has always been a little unusual for deer to be in town in the summer, especially in the middle of the day.

   The Burpee's Butterbush plants have been setting lots of squash and have remained quite compact.  This variety is supposed to be early (75-80 DTM).  If it is, and the squash matures well, then this will be added to my list of favourites.

 

 

White scallop squash ("UFO squash")

 

 

   The cucumber bed is flourishing.  All the seeds I planted germinated and there are loads of yellow flowers.  Dragon's Egg has been the earliest, but the others (Earliest Mincu and Muncher) are coming along as well.  On the left-hand side of the bed are Alaska Red Shades nasturtiums, and at the back, Black Sea Man tomatoes.

 

   

Dragon's Egg cucumbers

 

 

 


 Garlic hanging to cure in the laundry room.  Rustic.  Ahem.



 

   An interesting cloud formation a half hour or so before a minor thunderstorm passed through on the 13th.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment