Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Mint Jelly and Early Tomatoes

   I have batches of zucchini relish, blueberry jam, and pickled garlic scapes under my belt this summer.  I thought it would be fun to try something new, and decided on mint jelly.  The recipe looked straightforward, though it called for a lot more mint than expected and it called for liquid pectin, which I hadn't used before.

   The good news is that it looks pretty and smells wonderful.  The bad new is, it didn't set!  Arhg!  (Mint syrup, anyone?)  It can still be used as a cooking glaze, in tea, or on desserts, but I was hoping for the same kind of set I'd achieved with crabapple and raspberry jellies.

 


A few tomatoes that are ahead of the pack in ripening:

Dina (the colour of a creamsicle)

 


 


Early Annie


 

Monomakh's Hat (these are large, solid, and heavy)

 


 

Japanese Black Trifele



Indigo Pear Drops
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment