Thursday, August 23, 2018

Too Soon? (North Georgia Candy Roasters)


Here in Northeastern BC, we are still dealing with smoky, hazy days due to the wildfires throughout the province.  Some days, the air is quite clear and smells fresh.  Then a weather system shifts, and the air again becomes so hazy you can't see the buildings or hills across town.  It pools, like mist, in the downtown area, which is in a shallow valley.

After several days of thought, I decided to pick the two large North Georgia Candy Roasters.  Their appearance is the same as the ones I harvested two years ago, and they have the hollow sound of a mature winter squash when thumped.  My reasoning was if I picked these whoopers, maybe the 8-10 much smaller ones that are still on the vine will have more energy and nutrients directed towards them so they will mature before the heavy frosts start to hit.  I have no idea if that is how things actually work.





Despite being extra careful when I lifted the squash, the stems on both of them snapped right at the base.  Arhg!  The squash will still be fine to eat once cured, but I gather this reduces their storage potential dramatically.   These ones will have to be used up first.




I have a few Small Wonder spaghetti squash growing in pots.  Most are still quite small and are pale green.  Not a lot of action from these plants.  This squash is the largest of the bunch and has stayed this pale yellow colour for 2+ weeks, so I picked it today. 




Meet our newest feline visitor.  We call him, "Romeow".  He is cautious, but friendly, and has 6 toes on his front paws.  He likes to snooze on the bench behind the house from time to time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment