Friday, August 31, 2018

Cherry Jam


   Yesterday, I made a small batch of cherry jam using a recipe from the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving (which is now spiral-bound!  My paperback copy gets held open with a pot lid).  The closest recipe I could find online is from the Bernardin Home Canning site.  It differs slightly from the one in my book, which mentions the option to add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (which I did), 1/2 tsp ground cloves (which I didn't), and/or 1/4 cup of amaretto liqueur (which I should have).

   I am always happier with how my relishes, pickled garlic, dilly beans, and fruit butters turn out than my jams.  Granted, I have only made jam twice.  This year's turned out better than last year's, but there is room for improvement.  Last year's batch tasted lovely, but it was so full of tiny bubbles that it looked more like pink cherry mousse than cherry jam.  I read several articles online, watched a few videos, and reread the recipe 5 times to make sure I was doing things correctly.  The result was a darker, less mousse-like jam, but I can still see some bubbles in it.  I read some more articles and posted on a forum asking more experienced canners their advice.  I discovered that the trick is to add 1/2 tsp of butter to the pot of ingredients before the mixture is brought to a boil!  I hadn't planned to make more jam - I eat very little of it - but I am tempted to make another batch just so I can use this trick.  If I do, it will be this one for Carrot Cake Jam.






No comments:

Post a Comment