Monday, March 5, 2018

Bohemian Visitors and Starting Seeds


   Last week,  I had a wonderful surprise when I went out to shovel the step.  I heard them before I saw them: Bohemian Waxwings!  They appear in the area once or twice a year, eat the dried fruit from the otherwise bare trees, and move on.  I think they're pretty and I love the trilling sound they make.  We took some pictures, but due to light snow that day and the flitting about of feasting birds, they are not as clear as I had hoped. (Click to enlarge)












   March 1st, I started marigolds (Brocade Mix), 3 kinds of leeks (my usual Giant Musselburgh and two new ones, Mammoth Blanch and German Striesen), flat-leafed and curly parsley, rosemary, and summer savoury.  I read - after the fact - that summer savoury is best sown directly outdoors, as it doesn't respond well to having it's roots disturbed. Opps.  We'll see how that goes.   

   Thanks to R (the teens at his workplace drink a lot of milk), I have a good start on collecting plastic jugs for mini-greenhouses.  My sister-in-law is collecting them for me as well.  At this rate, I should be able to start enough kale and cabbage to feed a small army.

   I am having trouble narrowing down the kinds of tomatoes to grow this summer.  Memories of a harried-harvest-time-me remind me I should be practical and grow uniformly shaped, easy-to-process, meaty varieties. Reds, purples, or pinks, preferably determinates and preferably early varieties.  But that feels so limiting, when there is such a rainbow of types and such a range of sizes, shapes, and flavours!   I have a tentative list of 12 finalists, but that could change by the time I actually start the seeds later this month. 

Stay tuned!  *L* 

No comments:

Post a Comment