Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Best Carrot Year Yet



First batch of carrots!  Purple Dragon, Scarlet Nantes, Atomic Red, Kuroda, and Jaune Obtuse du Doubs.  This has been, by far, our best year for carrots.  The change in when I planted them (early, at the same time as the beets and peas) and how I planted them (in rows, rather than en masse) made for a much improved germination rate and for easier weeding.  The Purple Dragon and Jaune Obtuse du Doubs are the largest.  The Atomic Reds always seem to be the slowest to grow, but I like their colour (which is far more pink than red), so I sow some every year.




I harvested the Green Macerata cauliflower a few days ago. The heads were small, and most had leaves growing up between the florets.  It was fun to experiment with growing this, and maybe it would do better in another part of the garden, but I don't think I will grow these again.  The plants are very large, and the "reward" - food output - is very small by comparison.




A few days ago, R. happened upon a very good sale on grapes.  He came home with 10lbs of them, and went on a juicing spree.  The juice is very mild and refreshing, but very sweet.  It would be nice to make ice cubes with the juice and use them in soda water. 




No comments:

Post a Comment