Thursday, August 4, 2016

Curing The Onions, Garlic, and Shallots


I thinned most of the lettuce from the carrot & lettuce beds this morning.  It doesn't look like we'll have as many carrots as I'd hoped.  At least now I finally know to sow carrot seed while the weather is still cool.  Hopefully, doing that next Spring will result in a much bigger harvest next Summer. 

Afterwards, I picked peas and then shelled the lot.  Very time consuming, but worth it when we're eating our own garden peas in the middle of January.  This batch resulted in 6 lbs 10 oz shelled peas.  My thumbs hurt!

I pulled the onions, shallots, and most of the garlic this afternoon and we hung them to cure behind the house.  I am very pleased with how the shallots turned out (our first time growing them) and the garlic, too (good sized bulbs).  The onions didn't do as well, and most of them are quite small.  Their stems were wilted and becoming slippery, though, so they had to be pulled.






No comments:

Post a Comment