Monday, August 15, 2016

Broad Beans (Windsor) and The First Mazarini


A few days ago, I harvested a few of the Windsor beans (broad/fava) so I could experiment with blanching them to freeze.  They strike me as an unusual bean and processing them is a tad labour-intensive.  I was surprised at how waxy and firm the second "shell" around each bean is.

After being removed from the pod...




Plunged into ice water after blanching...




Liberated from it's "second shell" (a sturdy thumbnail comes in handy)...




All finished!




For a much more thorough description of growing and processing broad beans, check out the great blog post HERE.


I picked the first Mazarini tomato this afternoon.  I am so pleased with it!  I have oohed and ahhed over it all summer.  It was among the first tomatoes to appear and it quickly outgrew all the others, including the other Mazarinis.  It was also the first to start ripening.  (One of the Early Annie tomatoes isn't far behind).  This one weighs 1 lbs 2 oz.  When I manage to bring myself to cut into it, I'll save the seeds to grow next summer.



Mazarinis are a Russian variety - pink, heart-shaped slicers, meaty with few seeds.  Indeterminate, 80-90 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment