Saturday, July 16, 2022

Dragon's Egg Hatching

 

   I went out for a stroll around the garden this morning. It looks like it rained overnight, leaving puddles in the driveway.  I appreciated the rain, as I didn't relish the prospect of watering everything by hand today.  It's sunny and mild now, about 19 degrees C at 9:00AM.  The magpies have returned; I can hear them clacking and chattering at each other from the property two doors down.  I think the family of young crows left the spot where they'd settled for several months.  They don't seem to be fans of the cheeky magpies.

   On my stroll, I happened upon the most wondrous thing: a dragon's egg about to hatch!   Maybe it wasn't actually a dragon's egg.  It sure looked like one, though.  It was a Frosted Salmon poppy starting to open.  The only thing that could have made it more magical would be if a damselfly lighted on it while I was taking the picture. 


 

Another one, at the back of the flower bed.



   The Ireland Creek Annie beans (dry/bush) are doing very well.  They are growing taller than expected, partially blocking the tomato plant at the back of the bed.  The bean flowers have started to open.


 

More dry bush beans, more flowers. 



 

   Monomakh's Hat.  Holy smokes.  So far, this variety is living up to the wonderful things I've ready about it. Productive, large tomatoes, not too tall (semi-determinate).  It's supposed to be relatively early for a large tomato, too (~70-75 DTM).  

 


 

   Finally!  Some Andean tomatoes (also called, "Cornue des Andes") are developing.  This variety is supposed to be fairly early (~75 DTM) and productive.  So far, it hasn't wowed.  Hopefully, it surges ahead in the next month and lives up to it's good reputation.  I've been counting on this as my paste tomato.

 


 

Clear Pink Early, coming along.



 

Sweet little volunteer pansies.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment