Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Getting The Garden In


   June already.  How did this happen?  There have been some sunny days this past week, but the weather remains mild rather than toasty warm.  I have managed to get much of the garden in, but it has been slow going this year.

   Broccoli, Snowball cauliflower, cabbage (Cour di Bue, Red Express, Early Golden Acre), White Scallop summer squash, lettuce, kale, a bit of basil and sage, and Swiss chard have been planted.  I finally got the peas (Green Arrow and Laxton's Progress) planted yesterday, but not trellised.  A row of Norland Red potatoes are in the East garden.  R planted the rest of the potatoes (Kennebec, Russet, Red Norland) at his father's farm.  Cosmos (Rubenza and Sensation Mix) were transplanted in small bunches in all three garden plots.

   Peppers (Anaheim and Tam jalapeno) were planted yesterday and today.  The tomatoes were planted over the last three days.  True to form, the first week of June is very windy, so while I have given away a number of tomato transplants, I am keeping a bunch until the second week of June in case any of those I planted in the garden snap in the wind.  The tally at this point is 42 tomatoes in town (the varieties are listed here), and 2 (Cole) at the farm.  About a third of them still have to be staked, but at least they are in the ground.

   After last summer's dreadful weather, I decided to start most of the squash this year on heat mats and under grow-lights.  I staggered starting the varieties from mid to late May.  The Galeux D'Eysines was transplanted outside yesterday.  The Lower Salmon River and North Georgia Candy Roaster are hardening off and will likely be planted at the farm.  Long Pie Pumpkin, Fordhook Zucchini, and Early Prolific Straightneck are on the heat mats and will be planted outside once they've germinated and the weather warms up more.

   I planted a few small sections of dry beans in raised beds (Ruckle, Agate Pinto, Beka Brown), though am concerned that they might rot if the soil continues to be cool.  I will hold off on planting string beans until the weather is warmer; I don't have enough to risk them rotting and having to replant them.

   I have become aware that an acquaintance, who has property, resources, and gardening knowledge of their own, quietly follows this blog to see what transplants they might be able to hit me up for in June and what produce in September.  I have always been happy to share what I have but admit to a growing resentment of this kind of manipulation and the expectation that I will simply dish out. There is always one of these sorts in the bunch, I guess.

   The trees in our yard and in several of our neighbours' yards are loaded with blossoms. The scent is heavenly!   It's sad to see the petals being blown off so soon by the breeze, but it looks like confetti in the air, which is pretty in it's own way.



Apple tree and crabbaple trees in bloom



Tomatoes in, as well as a pepper, beets, and lemon balm.



North garden - peas, garlic, tomatoes



East garden - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, broccoli, cosmos



The view down the driveway




No comments:

Post a Comment