Friday, April 12, 2019

Black Knot Fungus and Transplant Update


   This week has been cool and clear.  Most of the snow has melted and the ground is beginning to dry.  R. got started on some of the bigger yard tasks, which included taking down one of the large trees in front of the house.  We don't know what kind it was, though it produced beautifully scented blossoms in the Spring and had small berries on it.  Unfortunately, it was also covered with Black Knot Fungus.  R. left some of the main branches on it for the cats to play on when they're outside with us.  The tree might bounce back, too; he cut back a similar tree in the yard just as harshly about 20 years ago.  Now it's ~25 feet tall again.

   The black fungus also appeared on one branch of the Schubert Chokecherry tree (easily removed) and on a tall crabapple tree on our neighbour's side that extends over the fence onto our side.  I cut off as much as I could reach from our side and from the alley, but the majority is still on the tree.  The fungus spreads by spores that are carried to other trees through the air.  It can spread aggressively on fruit trees and Mayday trees.  I hope the neighbour sees it and cuts off the affected branches. I am not sure this would be a priority for them, however.




   The lilac bush was quite overgrown, so R. also cut back as much of that as he could reach.  Some extends over the fence into the neighbour's yard.  The last time it was cut back was in October 2013.  He is going to experiment with making little nooks/hiding places for the cats to place near the house ("toad houses for cats") using some of the branches from the lilac bush.  He bent them, inserted them into one of the garden containers, and will let them dry.  After that, he'll build the little houses and cover them with burlap.  I think they will enjoy snoozing in them when we're out gardening this summer!





Bea inspecting her future nook.




   Earlier this year, I received 10 seeds of a tomato variety developed by Karen Oliver called, "Midnight Sun" (a bi-colour oxheart).  I traded 5 of the seeds for another variety I'd been after and planted the remaining 5.  These are the resulting plants so far. They have large, droopy leaves that remind me of donkey ears.  I hope they grow into sturdy plants and that they produce well. The tomatoes are attractive and the variety is uncommon. 




Tomato and pepper plants in the kitchen.




   Transplants in the plant room early this morning.  Tomatoes, peppers, a few leeks, marigolds, and thyme (very leggy, at this point!).  I am still trying to get my rosemary seeds to germinate.  Two years of easy success with those but this year, nada.




More tomatoes and peppers in the plant room.




   Earlier in the week, I started some pansies (Cassis and Swiss Giant), cosmos (Dwarf Sensation Mix), Tronchuda collards, and Summer Savoury in milk jugs.  I also planted some yellow onion sets in one of the raised beds on April 9th.  The soil is cool but the package instructions said to plant them "as soon as the ground can be worked", so we're giving it a try.  It seems early, but maybe they start well in cooler temps like garlic does.  Fingers crossed.



1 comment:

  1. I'm inspired, Dawn! I can't believe how healthy your transplants look! I was so impressed with myself for actually getting cabbage and cauliflower seeds into milk jugs last weekend. I'm hoping they germinate some time before the garden is ready to be worked. I'm going to blame the 15 cm of snow we got this week when they miss that goal.

    ReplyDelete