Monday, September 11, 2017

The Crookneck Surprise


This black and orange (and very fast-moving) butterfly graced my marigolds with it's presence yesterday, first stopping at the ones in the north garden...




...and then settling for a moment on the ones growing along the south side of the house.




South side beds




Tomatoes, jalapenos, a bit of mint, and a sunflower beneath the plant room widow.




This is the first time in years that more than just a handful of tomatoes are ripening on the plants.
















Our kitty, Lou, coming out for a visit!  She is the more timid of our cats and usually prefers to stay indoors. 




This is our biggest sunflower this summer.  Not that tall (~5 feet) but the head is huge!




Some jalapeno peppers I picked the other day.




I planted some Early Crookneck squash in late May/early June as an afterthought/space-filler.  I don't know what possessed me, but I planted four of them in a (~3' x 3') square raised bed.  By mid-summer, the plants looked healthy but they were only producing male flowers. For weeks.  I finally pulled three of the plants out, thinking it was probably too late in the season for the remaining plant to produce any squash.  I was wrong!  Here is one side of the plant...




...and here is the other.  There are six squash growing on this side (one is hidden by a leaf).  Every description I have ever read about this variety mentions how prolific it is.  Now, I see why!  If I had planted the original four in a larger bed, with more space between them, I think I would have been able to supply half the town with squash, at this point.




Dahlias




The winter squash bed (Galeux D'Eysines).




This one's a keeper.  There is another growing at the end of the bed that is just as large and warty.   *Wondering how much it would cost to FedEx one of these babies from northern BC to Halifax...  Hee hee!*




Love the sunflowers.  Loathe the gnatty black flies. (Click for a closer look.  Those things are stuck to everything in the garden. Arhg.)




The last dahlia plant to bloom.  Pale cream with hints of pink and yellow.  Very pretty.




Little Lou




Leaning in for whisker tickles.




The kale and parsley bed (tub) is still producing well.




Bea joined us.




Tracking bugs under the apple tree.




Watching her sister...




Back in the house, ready for a snooze, Lou seems okay with her cat tree temporarily doubling as Dry Bean Central.






No comments:

Post a Comment