Monday, May 2, 2016

May 1st - A Head Start


Yesterday, we tilled and weeded the 3 garden plots, and finished turning over the raised beds along the driveway.  It took the entire afternoon, but it is finished and the spaces are ready to be planted.  We are ahead of the game by 2 or 3 weeks because of the wonderfully mild Spring we've had. It was around 26 degrees and I got my first sunburn of the season.  If the overnight temperatures hold, I will likely plant my leeks this week and the peas and potatoes can be planted next week.












 My kale and Swiss chard transplants have done well and I have started to harden off the marigolds and parsley.  I have also started to harden off the 13 potted dahlia tubers I have in the house.  It is a bit of a nuisance to haul the pots in and out in the morning and again at night, but after losing vegetables and flowers in the past, I am very cautious when hardening things off now.  It is more work the way I do it, but I've hardly lost anything during the process for the last 4 years.












The corn seedlings continue to thrive in the vermicullite!  We won't be able to transplant them outside for another month.  I wonder how large they will be come June?






First pansies




Leaves on the apple tree.






Loulou exploring behind the house.




She spots a bug!




Currant bush. (Ignore the tires, etc between the sheds. I try to...)




Close-up of the currant bush leaves.




One of the eggplants (Ping Tung)




North Georgia Candy Roaster (winter squash)




Epazote




Stevia




Feverfew (in front) and yarrow




Rosemary




No comments:

Post a Comment