Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Chive Flower Vinegar

   Every once in a while, I see something online or in a book and think, "I have to try that!"

   Chive flower vinegar was one of those things.  The little chive transplant I was given last year is thriving where it was planted.  The pink flowers are attracting big, fuzzy bumblebees and adding colour to an otherwise all-green, just-getting-
underway garden.  When I spotted a post about chive flower vinegar online, I immediately logged off, grabbed a mason jar, and set off to make some of my own.

   It's pretty simple.  Snip a few chive flowers, rinse under cold water, shake off the excess water, pop into a small jar, cover with your vinegar of choice (I used plain white vinegar), cover, and let it infuse for 2 or 3 days.  Remove the flowers and store the infusion in the fridge.  It is very tasty mixed with oil and used as a salad dressing. It would also be divine used in a potato salad.  I drizzled it over steamed vegetables the other night.  Yum!

 

Day 1 (click to enlarge)



Day 3, ready to enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment