Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Snowy Day for a Visit

 Winter's back.  

   After weeks of nice weather, with no trace of ice left on the gardens or raised beds and an early Spring sunburn under my belt, winter has returned.  Hopefully, this is winter's last hurrah.  The forecast tells us we'll get 15-20cm.  It looks like there's 15cm down already.  We'll see what the rest of the day brings.

   Yesterday afternoon, I spotted an unusual bird in the trees a property or two over.  By the time I had the binoculars in hand, it had flown away.  It's head and body reminded me of a dove's, but this bird was larger and it's tail longer.  It's beak was small. 

   This morning, I spotted the same bird in the cherry tree in our front yard!  The pictures I took aren't clear because of the falling snow.  It faced in the opposite direction for the most part - hard to see it's face.  It's tail looked checkered and it's colouring was mostly dark grey, almost speckled in places.  Possibly a Sharp-shinned Hawk or Cooper's Hawk...?  I'll have to ask some of my more bird-savvy friends. 






No comments:

Post a Comment