Saturday, December 5, 2020

16 Days to Go

   I looked at the clock around 8:00am and was surprised by the time, as it was still quite dark.  We're in the time of year when you can be puttering around the house and have no sense of whether it's 4:00AM or 8:00AM.  It's disorienting if you have to be on a schedule, and can be cozy if you don't.  I went outside just before 9:00am to take this (fuzzy) picture.  R. literally has the days counted down until December 21st, when the daylight will start to increase again.  I am not minding the short days as much this year.  Perhaps, compared to everything else there is to be stressed and fatigued by lately, darkness in the morning is barely registering.

   The weather for the last week has been unseasonably mild, with most overnight temps above zero, and daytime temps between 2 and 8 degrees.  It was 6 degrees out at 9:00AM this morning.



 

   On November 22nd, I decided to try my hand at growing micro tomatoes.  I planted 4 Orange Hat seeds and 5 Tiny Tim.  This picture was taken this morning. 



 

   In recent weeks, I've done three tomato seed trades with people online.  It's a benign and relatively inexpensive vice!  The new varieties I received are:

Dwarf Payette

Dwarf Red Viper

Mary Reynold's

Kozula 24

Neves Azorean Red

Mrs. Bot's Italian Giant

Hubert's Pink 

   Someone also sent some Dwarf Purple Heart, which I was grateful for, as I only have a few seeds of that variety in my stash.

   Later this month, my package from the Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange will arrive.  Looking forward to that!  It is always fun to see what comes back.  Some of my favourite varieties of flowers and vegetables to grow are ones I discovered through this exchange.

   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment