Friday, December 27, 2019

Breaking Into the Lower Salmon River

   
   This past summer was my first time growing Lower Salmon River squash.  Of the squash varieties I planted, this is the only one - including the summer squash - that not only pulled through the cool, wet weather, but produced well.

   One of the main characteristics of Lower Salmon River I kept reading was that it is an excellent storing variety.   I can confirm that this is the case.  The skins are hard.  The first one I processed took me close to an hour and a half to cut open, peel, and cube.  I had to repeatedly zap the squash halves in the microwave so I could cut them into wedges and peel the wedges. I developed a blister in the process!  When all was said and done, there was a lovely large bowl of squash cubes.  Enough to make a squash and chickpea curry (recipe below) and have still have some left over to boil and mash for the next day's supper.

   Today, I took a different approach.  I asked R., who has large, scary tools, if he could cut the squash open.  From another room, I heard,"BANG BANG BANG BANG!" coming from the kitchen.  I stayed put and asked no questions.  In less than 5 minutes, he called me into the kitchen. There was my squash, ready to be scooped out and cut up.  He agreed that the skin was hard - the machete had to be used in tandem with a hammer!  It certainly was faster than the kitchen knife and upper body strength (*cough*) that I used on the last one.






Squash and Chickpea Curry


2 Tbsp cooking oil or olive oil
½ cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbsp curry powder
6 cups Butternut (or other type) squash, peeled and cut into small cubes.
¼ tsp  pepper
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 ½ cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup raisins
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)


Directions:

- In a large pot/Dutch oven, heat oil. Saute onions, ginger, and garlic until onion is softened.  Stir in curry powder* and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in quash, pepper, and tomato paste and stir until squash is coated.
- Add broth and water, chickpeas, and raisins.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Stir occasionally.  Simmer for  about 15 minutes or until squash is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and/or toasted sliced almonds.

*I also add ~ ¼ tsp cayenne, ½ Tbsp ground cumin, and 1 Tbsp garam masala.



No comments:

Post a Comment