Thursday, October 10, 2019

Forget the Tomatoes, Tickle My Belly!


Monday morning (October 7th), I woke up around 6:30am to the sound of hail hitting the windows.  It came down hard for five minutes or so, then gave way to big, fluffy, wet snowflakes.  Snow fell for an hour or two, and has remained on the ground due to cool temperatures (it was -10 yesterday morning).  It has just started to melt this afternoon.  I'm glad to see the sunshine again!




The Work Release Paste tomatoes are nice and ripe now, so I took a picture to add to my notes.  I take a lot of pictures in the plant room, as the light is bright in there.  I snapped this picture, looked up, and...




...discovered Bea, waiting to be adored and photographed.  Belly tickle not optional.




Here are some of the tomatoes ready to go in the freezer.  Once frozen, running hot water over them makes the skins come off easily.  Then into the pot to cook down for sauce.  If I'm up to another step (usually, I am not!), the sauce is run through a little tomato press to remove the seeds.  So far, 14 L of sauce has been canned this month.  I think when all is said and done, we'll have about half the amount we did last year.






No comments:

Post a Comment